I really didn’t intend to start the wallpaper project that fatefully Saturday night. Really I didn’t, in fact I was still disgusted from the debacle of trying to hang it the last time. But in my mission to brighten up the hallway I was forced up against a wall. A few years ago my Dad came over to help with our master bathroom remodel. He was being an awesome dad and working on it while Wolfy and I were at work. Unfortunately there was a miscommunication. He went to take out the galvanized steel pipes that originally supplied the shower, and we hadn’t told him where the water shut off was. Thinking we had shut it off before we left he sawed his way through the pipes, and water went everywhere. Picture Old Faithful in a gutted bathroom. It took him a while to get from the upstairs bathroom to the basement and find the shut off valve. Needless to say the ceiling tiles in the laundry room below the bathroom were ruined and the paint in the downstairs hallway walls and on ceiling had seen better days.
I thought I could scrape, sand a bit, then paint. Ehhh… that would be a no. When I went to scrape I was able to peel off all the layers of paint that had ever been there. Think about 8 coats. There was a 1/16th –1/8th inch gap. The weirdest thing was that this only happened in spots.
So at 11 pm on a Saturday night I am breaking out a roll of wallpaper. I wanted to see if this would work. The wallpaper was thick, paintable, and textured to look like an old tin ceiling. I did a small section that night alternating between looking advice up on the internet and texted/Facebooking some friends for their input. So far it looked good. I called it a night, and fully expected to find the newly hung wallpaper on the floor in the morning.
To my surprise it was still hanging up there on Sunday morning. I started in on it again. My biggest piece of advice… use small pieces. I found that I could comfortably work with a piece that was 4-5 squares long. One more and it was a struggle.
So I’d say if this is your first time, start with 3 or 4 and see if you think you can do more once you get the hang of it.
When installing run your pieces slightly longer than you need to. This way you can cut it at the wall. Once I got it lined up and smoothed out I was able to use my smoothing tool to pin the wallpaper to the ceiling cut underneath it. Don’t try to make it perfect. Wet wallpaper is a pain to cut. You just want to remove as much as possible so there isn’t unattached paper pulling down on the newly installed sheet. Once it was dried you can come back and fix the area. I also ran a bead of caulk around the outside to blend the ceiling and the crown molding together better.
Once I got it figured out it was a breeze.
I was able to get the kitchen, dining room, and hallway done in one day (minus the two hours the previous night figuring it out). Except for where the fan is in the dinning room.
We want to replace the fan with the same type of chandler that we have in the kitchen. The foot print of the fan vs the chandler wasn’t the same so we needed to remove the fan before I could paper the ceiling. Wolfy turned the power off and removed the fan. Once the wires were taped I applied the wallpaper. He then turned the power back on. The plan is to buy more paper and do the front room and both bedrooms downstairs as well. But first I have to figure out what I’m going to paint it.